Sunday, February 8, 2009
5 Reasons To Invest In Yourself
Most of us are on tight marketing budgets and self-investment is usually last on the list of things to undertake. Why should we invest in ourselves? The following 5 are great reasons to pull out some extra cash and put it down towards our own betterment.
1. You will become a better writer- There's so much knowledge out there that you can always tap into. Struggling with your grammar? There's a course for that. Need to get inspired and your creative juices flowing? There's a course for that too. If a university course is out of your reach, then consider doing an online course. There are a number of credible ones to select from. If a course is not an option due to high fees and time constraints, why not pick up a book on the subject? You can read it at your own pace and most books do come with end-chapter exercises. Just make sure you schedule in time each day to read a chapter or two.
2. You will gain credibility- There's nothing more impressive than a writer who has a list of courses attached to his/her name. It doesn't matter if you are an excellent writer in your field, a client is probably still going to select someone who has an impressive sounding list behind his/her name. See if you can improve on what you already have, or begin to create your own little educational portfolio.
3. You will improve your writing style- After a while, a writer's style, no matter how creative he/she is, will tend to get stagnant. You get comfortable and tend to write on what you know. By studying/reading constantly, you will learn the intricate subtleties that go into making a good writer, a great one.
4. You can command a higher fee- It's much easier to increase your fees if you have done a course and specialized in a subject. Niche writers are always in demand.
5. You will learn something- And finally, you personally will learn something from whatever course you take or book your read. Additional knowledge can never be go waste or be undone, so go for it!
© 2009 Usha Krishnan Sliva
Freelance writer Usha Krishnan Sliva has years of article and copywriting experience. To get more free tips and writing ideas, subscribe to her ezine-Getting It Write, today.