Friday, September 17, 2010

The Pleasures of Reading

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBJfuVpH7h8I was reading a book the other day, when my 6 year old bounded up to me and said - "Mum, reading is to think and thinking is to become."

Words of wisdom from her Grade 1 teacher and my pride knew no bounds that she remembered it and related it in the right context. The book I happened to be reading at that moment was Winifred Watson's Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day. If you haven't read it, I recommend you pick up a copy. It's one of the most funniest, most thought provoking books I've read in a long time. And see if you don't identify with Miss Pettigrew in some manner.

Certain books are timeless in their storyline and writing style, and this one, first published in 1938, is one of them. By contrast, the movie is quite bland and the storyline, much changed. I know because ironically it was being aired the night I finished reading the book. So with the written words fresh in my mind, I sat down to view it. It stars Francis McDormand whom I believe to be a wonderful actress. So it's disappointing to find she can't do full justice to the role. And the fact the storyline is changed, as is the very essence of Miss Pettigrew's character, only serves to further dilute the film.

Which leads me to believe - yet again - that movies, no matter their star cast or budgets just can't compare to books.

1 comment:

Glynis said...

I love a good book. DH is a movie fan, but I like the first draft, the written word. :)